Saturday, June 20, 2009
Ragnar Relay
We returned home from Lake Powell on Thursday. That same day Amy (who I had run w/ at Powell) called and asked if I wanted to run 3 legs of the Wasatch Back on Friday-Saturday. The Wasatch Back is a 188-mile relay run from Logan to Park City. Each team has 12 runners, with 6 per van. Each person runs 3 legs of the relay with legs ranging from 3-10 miles long with most legs having some type of mountain climbs. Though I hadn't been training for a specific event, I have stayed in good shape and felt ready to run. Our team started the race at 7:40 Friday morning and finished at 2:30 on Saturday afternoon, 30 plus hours of non-stop running. I ran legs 12-24-and 36. Leg 12 was a 3.1 mile run UP to the top of Snowbasin Ski Resort in Ogden. Leg 24 was a 5.5 mile run up a moderate hill which I ran at about 3:40 am. I wore 2 headlamps on my head, one facing frontwards and one face backwards. I also had an orange reflective vest to be seen by passing cars. The stars and crescent moon lit up the road a little and I loved the peace and quiet of that run. It was a great time to think and commune with God. Leg 36 was the last lag of the race. It was a 5.3 mile run from Deer Valley into Park City. My support van had to go on ahead to meet me at the finish line, so it was another quiet and somewhat solitary run. The best part was finishing the race and having my team come run the last few hundred yards with me. I knew I had accomplished a great feat and was proud to have run (not always fast), but run the entire distance. I was soooo very happy to see Robert and the girls and appreciate their love, support, encouragement, and texts, throughout the race. It was so much fun, that I've decided to do another one in 2010.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
you inspire me!!!! and how do you look so georgeous after running a race????
you are glowing...and i'm not talking about sweat! love you lots!
I am so happy you did this and you had fun. I can't wait for the race next year. I have 5 people on my team so far and I am still working on Wayland, but he said he will drive not run. We will see...
Post a Comment